MHFC Workplace Partner Certification Program
The Mayors Health and Fitness Council recognizes Austin area organizations that focus on the health and well-being of their employees. This workplace wellness recognition program is open for Austin-based organizations of all types and sizes. It was created by the Mayor’s Health & Fitness Council in 2007 in an effort to inspire healthy eating, physical activity, tobacco-free living, and Mother-Friendly policies in workplaces.
To achieve MHFC Workplace Partner Certification, organizations must have health initiatives that comprehensively address each of the following categories:
- Health Education & Preventive Services
- Physical Activity
- Healthy Eating
- Tobacco-Free Living
Partners must achieve a minimum of 10 points in each category to be certified. Technical assistance for MHFC Workplace Partner Certification is provided by Austin Public Health.
The MHFC Workplace Partner Certification application has a total of 100 points. Employers may achieve certification at three levels:
- Bronze (50-59 points)
- Silver (60-69 points)
- Gold (70 points and above, plus tobacco free campus policy)
All employers receiving partner certification will be recognized at an awards and recognition ceremony. Partner certification lasts for 2 years. Starting in 2022, partnering and recognition programming for workplaces will be celebrated on a biennium.
Benefits to Certification
The benefits to becoming an MHFC Partner Certified Workplace are demonstrable many ways Here are some potential direct benefits:
- Recruitment Advantage: Being Workplace Partner Certified sets you apart from others who simply mention wellness benefits in their postings. Proudly include your Workplace Partners Certification in job postings, on your company website and in email signatures. Offering a comprehensive wellness program can be an attractive benefit for potential job candidates.
- Employee Retention: Studies show employees are more likely to stay with an organization that supports their well-being and provides opportunities for personal growth and development. MHFC Workplace Partner Certification demonstrates your organization’s commitment to their well-being.
As a MHFC Certified Partner you will receive regular positive recognition and support for your efforts. You will also join a growing network of leaders in Austin who have come together to share best practices and advocate for healthy change in a larger, more impactful way. Here are some ways your organization will be recognized after certification:
- A letter of acknowledgement and plaque
- Co-branding opportunities
- Public announcement of partnership
- MHFC website recognition
- Recognition at public MHFC events
- Invitation to local Austin Business Group on Health (ABGOH)
- Expert counsel and support from MHFC members
How to Apply
Step 1: Contact the MHFC to express your interest in getting certified and for free technical assistance with completing the application – [email protected]. Technical assistance is provided by Austin Public Health.
Step 2: Complete and submit your MHFC Workplace Partner Certification application for review. A PDF version of the MHFC Workplace Partner Certification application is available for your convenience. Applications must be submitted online.
Step 3: Submit supporting documentation for all items indicated with an (*) via email to [email protected]. Examples of supporting documentation include: policy, excerpt from employee manual, formal correspondence (email), new employee orientation excerpts, photos, etc. Items can be submitted as PDF, Word, JPEG, etc. or as a shared drive (i.e. Google Drive, Drop Box).
Step 4: If you are also interested in applying for the Mayor’s Workplace Awards, both applications can be submitted at the same time. Organizations must be MHFC Workplace Partner Certified to be eligible for the Mayor’s Healthiest Workplace and the Moving the Needle awards.
Step 5: The ABGOH Review and Steering Committee will review your application(s) and contact you if any additional information or adjustments are needed.
Step 6: MFHC will notify you of your award and will mail your Letter of Certification, including all of the benefits of certification.
The deadline to apply is July 31, 2022. All MHFC Workplace Certified Partners must apply for re-certification every two years after the award date.
Can I apply for MHFC Workplace Partner Certification and the Mayor’s Workplace Awards at the same time?
Yes – organizations that are seeking MHFC Workplace Partner Certification and participating in the Mayor’s Workplace Awards can apply for both programs by submitting the combined online application found on this page. Please note the MHFC Workplace Partner Certification application supporting documentation requirements as listed above; applications are not considered completed until supporting documentation is submitted.